Tuesday, June 1, 2010

news

I'd like to form a news-reading group as a way to combat information anxiety. I'll read the New York Times and the Economist, someone else can keep track of gizmodo and engadget, and a third person will pay attention to the science rags, etc etc....
We'll all post the most interesting and relevant story or two on FB, and - assuming I ever socialize enough to make this feasible - we can be confident that stray trivia or current events needed to solve a design project or win a friendly debate are likely to be in the room.
This is not too different from what I see happening on my facebook feed this morning - just that it would be a little more coordinated. Maybe I could link my web browser with several other peoples' and see stories (or sources) that nobody in my group has looked at yet (probably that the general population [or even better some specialized population(s)] has indicated is worthwhile) highlighted or pushed towards the top of a list.
Or I could create a list of all the world's news sources and invite a few of my friends with a similar viewpoint to sign up and select the ones they're responsible for. The list would prompt each of us to read stories, type in a summary of what we've been reading, and keep track of what %ge of the content we've been covering.

No comments: