Wednesday, August 12, 2009

philosophy and details

It looks like I've decided to focus on interaction design (or, perhaps it would be better to call it at this point software design, perhaps even programming, until I get familiar enough with the medium to really produce something new and/or compelling).
I've had trouble the past few years committing to anything particular as a career goal or path, because performing any particular task seemed to limit my focus, learning, and abilities to simply that activity. I think ID has shown me how to work on the tiniest details with utter abandon until they are of the highest quality possible, the highest quality produced in the world. But the professors here didn't do it by showing me how to polish and polish until something shines (though there is some of that, thanks Larry) - they showed me how to do it by linking the niggling, insignificant, myriad details with the big, fuzzy, philosophical-worldview-level, which is the only part I find compelling.
My next task is to become more adept at creating a smooth gradation in my storytelling between the details and the framework. For now, I only have time to jump straight into the lowest level.


Bug List

Print Settings
When you press the 'print' button icon, that skips the options dialogue boxes, in Word or InDesign, do you know which settings are being used? Is it printing with the formatting that you used for the full-color, tabloid sized poster you printed yesterday, or did you print a simple text document since then? Will you get four copies, or just pages 4 and 6? I've learned to check the dialog box every time I print anything - why doesn't the button give some indication of the active print settings it will enact? Even better, these applications should allow me to create several different print settings and turn them into buttons on the menu for quick access.

No comments: