Tuesday, November 18, 2008

conceptual

Last night I discovered I have no idea what a concept is.

Over the past few years, I've been pushing myself to get comfortable with really difficult, confusing ideas like "close enough to be wrong," which refers to the fact that something has to be somewhat comparable before it really registers as being different. Like an apple and an orange - different, but still fruits. An apple and the ides of march? There's not even a similarity, much less a difference.

But there's a few levels between this and what I thought was implementation. Now I'm struggling to make this sort of profound philosophy into something big but real. Where, exactly, is that border between niggling details and lost-in-the-clouds? I can definitely do both of those, but recognizing which is which and willfully straddling the fence is much more difficult and disciplined.

No comments: