Wednesday, March 4, 2009

presenting

I've been unsure the last couple of days about my end-of-quarter presentations. I don't have that sharp, clear feeling that we have achieved the level of simplicity and deep insight that I normally associate with success. Yet it seems that my professors and colleagues are satisfied - even impressed - with the quality of my teams' work.
Several understandings of this situation present themselves:
1. There's an opportunity area for adding what I see as a missing level of insight and depth on top of the workaday strengths of ID methods or, more generally, on top of simply copying what others are doing in any given field.
2. I am having a fair degree of success actually achieving that, and should be careful to gently push myself to greater facility and clarity over the coming decades, rather than becoming angry and disillusioned that my dreams are not realized now.
3. They are just being nice, and if I don't gear up and really focus soon I'll end up at the bottom of my class.
4. There are other measures of success that everyone else is aiming for - I should seek out and better understand these other value systems in order to better communicate.

In general, I have a lot of extra energy with which to push myself which is not finding its way into my schoolwork. The deeper question is: to what extent can I meet my professional goals while still taking time to pursue art, philosophy, and girls?

No comments: