Monday, January 19, 2009

vonnegut's lobotomy

In Galopogos, Vonnegut suggests that in a million years humans will have evolved much smaller brains (and turned into dolphin-like creatures), laughing and crying about the ridiculous machinations and complexities of our current society. Indeed, it's doubtless that much of what our culture produces is tangent - if not downright opposed - to our long-term survival (not useless, however, as nobody can really say right now which part is wheat and which is chaff).
It occurred to me last night - at a particularly lucid point in the last few weeks' dream of simple being unencumbered by the worry and existential pain that usually haunts me - that maybe giving up some of this ambition, responsibility, and sense of loss in the shadow of my imagined genius is evolutionarily beneficial. Of course I've realized before (thanks to help from Lao Tzu and sakyamuni) that it could be helpful for me, but I was still chased by spectres of Marx who wanted me to suffer an hour so my children would live in a paradise for ten.

No comments: